Monday, October 10, 2011

Sweet Autumn

I love autumn. There's just something about fall that makes everything seem rosy. I love the foods of fall, as well. They're warm and spicy and comforting.

One of my favorite foods in fall is apples. As a little girl, I remember looking forward to Jonathan apples every year as the first true sign that fall had arrived.

The grocery store has been selling big bags of Jonathan apples for a great price--a dozen or so to a bag. It's impossible for me to resist. My husband has been very tolerant of all the apple desserts making their way into our menu!

One of the easiest things to do with apples is fry 'em up. You don't need any special ingredients, just things that are already in the pantry. Quick, easy, and absolutely irresistible.

Skillet Fried Apples
5-8 medium apples
1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Directions:
1. Slice your apples thin. I used an apple cutter and then cut each slice in half again, so I got 16 thin slices per apple. You don't need to peel the apples, just cut them and remove the core.
2. Melt your butter in a large skillet with a lid. Once the butter is all melted, put in your apples.
3. Add your brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I put in a little more cinnamon, maybe more like 1/2 tsp.


4.   Stir everything up and cover with the lid. Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Apples should be very soft (able to bend in half) and juices should be caramel brown and bubbly.

5. Serve hot, either plain or spooned over ice cream--or any other way you like!




All the tender apples and sweet spices of an apple pie in a fraction of the time. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment